Reasons why Student-Led Conferences are effective:
- Students take initiative in their learning process.
- Students assess themselves in different areas and are able to express what their strengths and weaknesses.
- We are measuring student growth and accomplishments individually rather than comparing students using grades and scores.
- Students practice oral language skills and communication skills.
- Students gain confidence in speaking and build leadership skills by leading the conference.
- We are able to see student growth overtime and build life-long learners.
Helpful tips for parents:
- Be an active listener! We are always telling our children to listen. Now it is our turn to listen to them as they lead the conference.
- Ask questions. For example: "What do you like to do in school?" "Why do you like that?" "What are you good at?" "What do you need help in?" "How can I help you reach your goals?"
- Encourage your child. Children will practice many times at sharing their portfolio. But on that day, some students get really shy, even if they are just talking to you. So please encourage them ahead of time to be themselves and remind them that you are excited to see their portfolio.
- Students MUST come to the conference. They are the main speakers at the conference!
- Please be on time as we have a very packed schedule.
- Please sign the form and turn it in to confirm your time.
- If you need to reschedule, please let your teacher know.
- There is no school that day, 4/1.